Writer's retreat

Writer's retreat

Thursday 14 January 2010

Sharing a tale

The dreadful weather we've been experiencing for the past few weeks led to the cancellation of Solihull Writer's Workshop this week, so, having written a short story to the given theme, I thought I would share it here.

I was inspired by a photo taken after Christmas by a Scottish herbalist friend of mine, Claire Mullen. It was a stunning view of the blue moon touching a tall fir tree.It was one of those scenes which just begged to be included in a story.

The theme we had to write about was someone who didn't fit in. Once again I have drawn on my own experience - it's very difficult to make friends in a small school where you're the teacher's daughter, you live five miles away from the village and your mother doesn't really think that any of the village children are suitable friends for her child.

The glue pasting incident is true as well. It happened in NZ and the 12 year old boy who decided I was far too clean was the local vicar's son in Mt Manganui. I don't remember anyone coming to my rescue, but everyone was shocked! Needless to say, I survived, but my lasting friendships were made in secondary school when I was far enough away from home to form my own relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment